Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Instructions and Take Along Knitting


Instructions for Brioche Stitch, for Crazy Mom and anyone else who is interested:

Cast on an odd number of stitches. I have 15.
Knit a foundation row.
Row 1: (wrong side) K1,* yarn forward, slip 1 purlwise, K1, repeat from * to end.
Row 2: K1, *Knit slipped stitch and yarn over together, K1, repeat from * to end.
Row 3: K2, * yarn forward, slip 1 purlwise, K1, repeat from * until 1 st remains, K1.
Row 4: K2, *Knit slipped stitch and yarn over together, K1, repeat from * until 1 st remains, K1

Repeat these 4 rows. It takes a while for the pattern to 'emerge'. Do a few repeats before studying it!

Yesterday I knew I would  have to wait for Jack when he was in the dentist, bank etc. So I took along a boot sock I'm knitting as a special request. It's good take along knitting, small and not requiring too much attention. At one stage, Jack came back to the vehicle and asked me if I'd seen a neighbour passing by. Er, no. Unsurprising, as I was reading a magazine as well as knitting the sock. Perhaps I should pay more attention to the real world sometimes!

8 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous, but I don't understand a word from the instructions. Just because I never knitted from an english language one.
    But I will try this stitches! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, I know what that's like because I had to knit from a pattern in Afrikaans once. Can you translate the terms?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much! It's lovely...

    Orsi - this might help
    http://www.knitting-crochet.com/terms.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you " Crazy Mom" it will be a big help:)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 3 mon tricot booklets (1500, 1300, and 900 pattern books) and all three have (several patterns of) brioche written wrong (K1 K1B). As following these instructions would give me a garter-stitch type swatch (I tried it) I came online to see if anyone had put up correct instructions. Thank you! This one, which they call "oblique brioche" is exactly what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the k1,k1b and it turns out pretty well.... And its easer to read....

      Delete