Thursday, March 21, 2013

Threads

 I've had my dye pot out again. The blue dye I used is called Midnight Blue and has a touch of red in it. That's why the pale greens are rather olive or khaki. I did the multicolour skein and then poured the dye that was left into my coffee tin dye pot. I was pleased with the very dark green that emerged. The thread is Cebelia 20.
Since there were four skeins to unravel, I dug my swift or skein holder out. If I'm winding just one skein, I often don't bother, just hold the skein round my knees.
Jess kindly sent me some ezybobs. Very handy. Otherwise I use the centre cores from the original thread. I've found that winding the thread diagonally works better than straight around the core. I do have a ball winder which works wonderfully for knitting yarns, but I find that thread balls tend to collapse if I wind them on there. 

6 comments:

  1. Although I love tatting with hand-dyed threads, it's not something I've ever had a desire to try. Your threads are beautiful, especially that deep golden yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you have a new project in mind. Will be interested to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors! I use a swift with my old yarn ball winder. Read somewhere to put a cardboard core from a roll of toilet paper on the winder spindle. Works like a charm--not very elegant looking, but the ball won't collapse and tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's ironic that I just used my yarn ball winder to wind some vintage skeins (back to the '50s) that came from an old store. I cut down a paper towel core, and it worked fine; I wonder why there is no equivalent type of winder for thread!









    ReplyDelete