Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Preparing the Hem

 I've been looking for a new way to prepare the hem of organza food covers for sewing with a machine embroidery pattern. I used to pin the hem on the wrong side and then tack or baste with a thread. The problem was that the basting thread was often difficult to remove when it was covered with embroidery stitches. I've found that a better way is to press the folds with a steam iron and then hold them in place with pins on the right side of the fabric. Pressing the seam keeps it in place long enough to put the pins in and to remove them during sewing.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, pressing first is best. With your sewing machine might have been a funny looking foot, that is small and has a slightly curled looking metal piece. I took a class and found out that it was to insert the fabric edge and slide it in and it rolls the end in and you stitch it down. It's a wonderful piece of equipment that many people over look. Work for that kind of fabric wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did have a foot like that for my old machine, though I must admit I never really mastered it. Haven't got one for my new machine.

    ReplyDelete