Saturday, May 2, 2015

Convinced?

I'm glad to have learnt to knit two socks at once on  two circular needles. I think my needles are unnecessarily long. The long, springy cables meant I felt as though I were wrestling them at times. It would probably be easier with shorter cables.

 I'm not a chronic sufferer of Second Sock Syndrome, but I must say it was great to be finished all at once. On the other hand, if you got something wrong, you'd have to undo two lots.

 I think the circulars worked pretty well for the fairisle. To start with, there are only two 'junctions' instead of three or four, and I think they turned out fairly smoothly. That alone would be an argument for using this method.

The Turkish cast on method works really well with this method. Much easier than starting with waste yarn and then grafting, which is what I've done previously for toe up socks.

I can't swear I'll knit every pair of socks like this in future, but it is a good method of sock knitting to know about.

9 comments:

  1. This method looks great and it could save a lot of time, I have never used circular needles to make anything before. You have made a brilliant job of thes socks and such a nice pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These socks turned out great. I like to use 24" circulars when knitting 2AAT and I use different needles to avoid confusion when changing needles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, I've just measured mine and they're 30 inches. They're the same length but have different colour cables.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Susan this is great and besides I don't think I could make two matching socks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your socks are adorable! I like knitting with double point needles, which is why I've never tried the circular needle method. I'm not opposed to it, I just like the familiarity of my old tried and true method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm inclined to agree! I tried this but may well just go back to familiar dp needles.

      Delete
  5. I love your socks, and yes finishing both together and being the same is good, at least you dont have to start again for the second sock. I do both sleeves together and then you get all the increases the same,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire anyone who can knit socks, but doing 2 at the same time? Well, I'm doubly impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great socks!!! Love the design too!! :)

    ReplyDelete