Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Bespoke Shirts

I started making Jack's work shirts almost ten years ago, when we were living with hyperinflation in Zimbabwe. We soon discovered that it had advantages other than economic ones. I can alter the shirts to suit Jack's needs (or whims!). I make them longer so they tuck in easily; sew up the fronts so he doesn't have to bother with too  many buttons; and make the pockets extra long to accommodate his notebook and phone. I made the last batch of shirts just before I started blogging, two and a half years ago. I went a little overboard and made six shirts in a dark green cotton that is so strong I think it's really furniture material. Poor Jack is heartily sick of those green shirts! He asked me if I could find fabric a bit more interesting. No, said the man in the shop. The best I could do was make the pockets and collars in a contrasting colour.

8 comments:

  1. There's nothing like homemade! My mom used to make my dad's nightshirts, because the store ones were too short for him. He always wanted the pockets embroidered with his initials... in case he forgot who he was! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree ! If one has the talent & skill, one can customise ... It is not always about the money; and the pleasure & satisfaction of accomplishment is an added bonus :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shirt looks wonderful. Imagine having shirts (or any clothing) to fit exactly what you need! I love the contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh that's real seam mistresses work, and how clever to be able not only to make shirts but make them to his requirements and whims
    Well done, you must be proud every time he goes to work wearing what you made.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hives again... Sewing is such an arcane art to me. But I am happy for poor green Jack who now has a new colour in his cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have got a good talent for sewing, making clothes is not one of my skills, I have given it a try but the results weren't good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane! This is true, if one has the talent, there are nothing as good as the customized clothes. However, I am interested to read more about Hi Jane! This is true, if one has the talent, there are nothing as good as the customized clothes. However, I am interested to read more about bespoke shirts. Keep sharing!. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete