Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Summer Sewing

Winter is busy showing that it's not over yet, but the weather must warm up soon. I decided I need another skirt. I used a pencil skirt that I like to work out the dimensions of my denim panels. Then I looked up some tutorials. This one is really for soft furnishing sewing, but is more professional than this one . I took tips from both. For instance, sewing the bottom hem of each section before putting them all together. I've also been wanting to try a method for doing an elasticated waistband that I saw on Craftsy. Zig zag the top of the wide elastic to the raw edge of the fabric, working a quarter at a time, then fold it down and sew in place. It worked fine. The gathers are evenly distributed and there will be no twisting of elastic within a casing. Voila.

6 comments:

  1. I love the panels of fabric peeking out from behind the denim! Aren't those Craftsy classes great? I've never tried putting an elastic waistband in like that, but I will next time I make a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this post! You are putting me in the mood to do so sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in that method of fitting elastic into a waistband as well! - was never successful in sewing through the middle of it, but that may have been because my machine is not very modern! May I ask for the Craftsy link for that method? - I'd love to study it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, it was in a Craftsy newsletter. It made so much sense that I didn't save it, just remembered it. Here's a bit more detail: 1. Mark the garment in quarters. 2. Sew the elastic into a circle and mark it into quarters. 3. Match the markers for one section and stretch the elastic so that it fits the section of fabric. 4. Sew together with an overlock stitch, ie one side into the fabric the other off, I used zig zag stitch. 5. Repeat for each section. 6. Fold the elastic inwards and sew it down with a straight stitch. You still need to stretch the elastic as you go.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! - I will keep a note of this to try.

      Delete